Friday, May 30, 2014

Beginning our Symmetry Project






I have been working on this lesson since the summertime and I was really excited to dive into it! I researched each grade level's Sunshine State Standards and FCAT standards for 3rd grade and higher. That's a lot of standards per grade level to integrate so I was super nervous about bringing it to fruition. The underlying tie was symmetry- which can be pretty straightforward but we also measured angles, did tons of measuring in general, converted decimals, measured perimeter, identified types of angles....the list goes on and on. My hope was actually using the math concepts to construct an art work would resonate with the kids. We'll see! ;) The pieces turn out incredibly beautiful. Each grade had a different material to work with. You can even see my kinders in the 2nd and 3rd picture using radial symmetry to create their design!!

No comments:

Post a Comment