Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fabric design with my sewing club students

















In addition to regular school day classes I get the opportunity to teach after school enrichment classes as well. Along with an art enrichment course I offer a sewing club......it's a complete dream for me to teach! In sewing club, I focus as much on fabric design and color theory as I do on actually learning HOW to sew......because of course the creativity comes in the designing and not the "how to".

I'm personally addicted to Spoonflower (www.spoonflower.com) and it's spilling over into my classroom here as I have the sewing club students designing their own fabrics for printing. We talked about how the design they draw will end up being repeated over and over on their fabric and how to make sure every shape that they want to fill in with color will need to be fully "closed".

Then I modeled for them how to use GIMP (similar to Photoshop) so they get a little exposure to graphic art software. We scanned their drawings in last week-once they are all done filling in their drawings with color I will post the progress.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment