Thursday, August 23, 2012

Our "coming together" painting!!







This year our school grew from about 250 kids to almost 500! I really want the children to feel the same, wonderful family environment that we created last year so the first few projects we are doing our based around our coming together. They need to know how special they each are and that all of us are a close community- new or old ;).

Over the summer I drew the front of our school building on a big canvas and I'm lucky enough to have a fabulous 4th grade student who worked over the summer to paint it (thank you so much Jordan!!). She is getting close to being done with the painting- I'm excited to see it finished!!

I cut out little pieces of canvas fabric and in my classes this week the children all drew themselves or something that resembled a love of theirs (one of the boys drew a monkey ;)). I talked to them about how art can "symbolize" an idea and that this collaborative painting would symbolize us becoming a close school family. I am hoping to get permission to hang it in our lobby for the families and visitors to enjoy. I know the kids will be really proud to see their contribution to it.

I am getting such a kick out of pasting the little "people" on the painting- they are SOOOOO cute!!!! It put a smile on my face all afternoon after I worked on it.

I sure love teaching these sweet kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment