Monday, June 2, 2014

An extension off Mrs. Miller's first grade Colonial Times unit

Earlier this year I had the wonderful opportunity to work with Mrs. Miller and her first grade class. Her kids had already been learning about how people lived, dressed, ate, etc. in the US during colonial times. I came into her class one afternoon and talked about their clothing and how garments were sewn back then. Next I worked with the kids on sewing simple fabric shapes onto a fabric square so they could experience sewing by hand. We made cute pillows from them later (see the bottom pictures).

I left the class with pieces to make the first American flag. Brave Mrs. Miller worked with the kids on her own to hand sew it as a class ;). In the end I had to machine sew a few spots but they did such a good job!!! I took close up pictures so you can see the stitching.
 
 

 
 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment